Saturday, May 2, 2009

Alternative Medicine vs. Conventional Medicine:The Debate.

Honestly, in the years I have been doing massage therapy, I have seen a number of clients that come in complaning of a wide variety of symptoms. Everything from depression to pain to stomach ailments to sinus infections has been brought to my attention. Many of these things are easily treated with home remedies or massage tactics. So, if there is an easy solution available, that is not harmful to the client, why is alternative medicine still under so much scrutiny? I do not have a degree in science or medicine. I do not do cruel, inhumane, studies on animals. I have never conducted a controlled experiment to discredit a physician. And the reason why is because I don't need to! I don't need to prove that massage is more effective than any pain killer, because the proof is in the person. I don't need to prove that sinus infections can easily be cleared up due to massage or aromatherapy, because if the person walks out feeling better, my job is done. I think commonplace practitioners need to experience some of these things firsthand. Society already knows more than enough about Western Medicine. So why can't they be exposed to alternative medicine? Thousands of years ago in ancient China, do you think they used steroids and pencillin to treat their ailing? No. And while the longevity of their lives may have been limited, the quality was probably much better. There were no horrendous lists of side effects and withdrawal syndrome. People were not scared to have a treatment. Western Medicine needs a wakeup call to effectively treat their patients or run the risk of losing their credibility forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment